Labels

Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Thanksgiving to Remember



N arrived late Tuesday night. So I picked her up from the airport and we decided to go to Cogans for dinner. With N being a pizza connoisseur I was a bit nervous about taking her to my favorite pizza place. So after an hour wait we ordered the Mediterranean plus mushrooms and pepperoni. It is very rare that I get a pizza there that I don’t like but unfortunate this was one of those nights. So after we finally finished eating I was less than trilled to be driving her all the way to k’s house so she wouldn’t be alone while I was at work on Wed. So I borrowed N’s phone and proceeded to beg for the day off. After returning home and setting my alarm for 6am just in case I would need to go in the next day we headed to bed. Since I still had a cold I work up at 6 am anyway to check my email to find that I do truly have great project managers. They understood how overwhelmed I was and gave me the day off. We went back to sleep and a few hours later decided it was time to tackle my “to do” list of the day.


We headed out to the store and TJ maxx to look for the perfect tart pan. When we returned we finally began to bake. The Chocolate tart came out great (recipe to follow) and I had just peeled and started to boil the sweet potatoes when I got a call from K. Little J was on her way. So N and I packed up our entire kitchen and half-baked items, packed a quick overnight bag and headed to K’s house to watch little M so they could go to the hospital. We got to K’s at about 5:00 and by 9:15 little Jo was here. 7.8lb and healthy. The next morning Nancy and I got up got M ready and headed to the hospital to meet our new niece.

After letting M terrorize the hospital room for a while we headed back to K’s house to begin to cook thanksgiving dinner. N was officially on M duty so I started to plan the craziness. It was true I was actually going to have to cook the entire dinner by myself. I started with the Turkey. After a quick freak-out because of a slightly frozen turkey the night before, N and I successfully got it into the Brine. Now I just had to take it out fill with the aromatics and get it into the oven. So after the turkey was dressed and in I started on the pumpkin pie, started roasting the pecans for the sweet potatoes casserole and cooking down the cranberries. Needless to say about 5 hours later I was exhausted but the meal was finished. I am happy to say that I have successfully finished an entire thanksgiving dinner solo! (With a big thanks to N for watching the baby and cleaning the dishes)

We laid out all the food, took a picture of the gorgeous spread than proceeded to pack it up one Tupperware container at a time. We then packed up M and headed back to the hospital to deliver our thanksgiving feast. K was sore and J was tired but I think they were excited to be eating turkey on thanksgiving. So after a short visit we headed back home, put M to bed and began to feast. M2 even stopped by to hang out for a bit. We watched an episode of pumpkin chunkin, had a few beers and glasses of wine and headed to bed exhausted from a crazy thanksgiving.



(See "Thanksgiving Recipes 2010" post for this year's recipes)


No comments:

Post a Comment