Labels

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Countdown to Turkey Day!... T-7 days and counting

During the holidays I can’t help but let my mind wonder a bit. I always have my sketchbook close at hand to sketch any last min ideas for homemade gifts and recipes. It wasn’t until last night when I was talking to k that I realized there is a pretty great chance that I will creating a full thanksgiving dinner solo. I have seen my mom and grandmother meticulously plan in the past. Starting days before and even putting little paper labels in each dish corresponding to what future contents it will house. This year however I’m on duty. N is coming in town and with K about to have this baby at any moment so I have to be ready for anything. If Little J decides that she isn’t ready to come early than, K will be there to assist, but if she does decide she wants to join us for thanksgiving than it will be up to N and I to prepare dinner and be on M duty. We are planning a grocery trip for this weekend to get the essentials. The menu is ever changing but the bones of it are pretty basic

Turkey
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Rolls
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie

Then I am in the works of possibly a stuffed pumpkin of some sort, a variation of a traditional sweet potato dish and another pie. I love a traditional dinner, but where is the fun without a few crazy additions. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think the hardest part is the waiting game…and I’m not even the one having the baby. The best I can to do is get the best prepared I can, buy a couple bottles of wine and let the rest take care of itself. The entire holiday should be pretty laid back and a kind of makeshift family affair. Friends will come and go and we will enjoy it with those who are here with a few phone calls in between.

Now to figure out how to cook a turkey…

2 comments:

  1. Alton Brown has the probably the best turkey ever:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

    It does, however, require lots of planning ahead and prep time.

    Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this does look good though. have you tried this one before? i'll watch the videos at lunch and see if we can make it happen! thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete