Labels

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mocha Mousse cake with Candied flowers

This cake was done for a coworker's birthday. I had wanted to try sugared flowers for some time now and this was a great opportunity. I had never realized that you could eat a pansy but I’m glad I tried. With a little care they came out quite well.

The chocolate cake and mousse is form my favorite recipes see http://fatorfight.blogspot.com/2010/11/cupcake-happenings.html . But add 2 shots of express, or two packages of starbucks via coffee dissolved in very hot water use only the smallest amount of water to dissolve the instant coffee, let cool a bit and add it in at the end. Also use a similar mixture to brush on the cakes as you stack each layer.

For the flowers:

Pick your favorite edible flowers; some of witch includes violets roses, nasturtiums, pansies, lilacs, carnations, cherry and apple blossoms – along with herb flowers like borage or lavender, rosemary and mint.

I chose pansies for this cake. I started by cleaning the flowers by dipping them in water and drying them gently. Do not use flowers that have already been sprayed! After your flowers are dry use a paintbrush to paint each petal front and back with egg whites. After one is painted dip in very fine sugar. I used a food processor to make my regular sugar a bit finer. Also it seemed to be easier to pour the sugar between the petals rather than simply dipping them. After the flower is coated lay it out to dry and harden overnight on wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment