Labels

Monday, February 21, 2011

A long overdue update

What’s new with me…well a lot has happened these last few months, both good and bad.

Starting with the bad. My aunt Sherri passed away unexpectedly leaving behind her 12 year old daughter. I wasn’t able to make it up for the funeral but I am planning on going up in the spring for a service at my grandmother’s house. It was hard not being there with my family but I was able to talk to them often and it sounds like they are doing better.

When you loose a loved one it really causes you to stop and think about how precious life really is. It really could be gone any minute. I’ve been pondering this off and on for the last two months. I’m a point in my life where I don’t really know what is next. I know I want to pass my tests and get licensed but other than that, what am I doing other than going to work everyday. This has helped me to push myself a little harder. One of my main goals to get things in order by the end of the year. I want to be debt free, licensed or close to it, and happy with the other things I wanted to accomplish for the year.

On a better note, I did find a job at a bakery! Last weekend was my first weekend at a little bakery down in Chesapeake. They are currently transitioning from a full service bakery just to custom cakes. I am lucky enough to be able to come in and help on the weekends. It is hard work and fast passed but I think something I am really going to enjoy. I am getting to decorate cakes that I would have never gotten to before, and learn skills I had only hoped to. My feet may be sore and I may not have any weekend plans anymore, but I think it is for the best, and will help me work towards paying off what I need to.

There have been some rumors that I am doing this to try to get out of Architecture. That is not the case at all! I’m doing it for the money and the experience. Between work, ELA, and studying I needed to find something different. And because I didn’t really want to serve again, I thought this would be fun.

Studying is going ok, with deadlines looming and cake decorating I’m finding little time to study. I have enrolled in a Structures seminar that meets every Tuesday night, so at least I am keeping up with that.

I have also started rock climbing with M1. We found out that if we go on Saturday nights we practically have the gym to ourselves. I can’t remember the last time I was as sore as I was after the first night but I loved it! I used to do it when I was younger and I’m really excited to be doing it again. I took all the sisters when they were in town last week and I think they had fun with it. M1 even came home the other night with two harnesses he got from a friend. We are going Wednesday night to try them out and hopefully get certified to climb on our own. I can’t wait!

I guess that pretty much sums it up for now, lots of work and little sleep, and little money…I kind of feel like I’m in college again.

No comments:

Post a Comment