Labels

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How many cakes does it take to buy an i-phone?

Answer: about 150.

I've been at the bakery since February and one of the things I have realized most is how necessary it really was for me to get a second job. Sometimes the hours spent on my feet can seem a bit long, but other than that it is still going really well. At first I thought it would be easy to save all the money I made because it was my "extra paycheck" but that hasn't really been the case. Because they were taking out ELA tuition payments from my main paycheck it was simply replacing the money I was missing. Those payments ended at the end of March. I have been waiting for about a year now to get a new phone. At first i was waiting for my contract to be up, and then I was just waiting to have the extra money. There were a few times I was tempted but with traveling for ELA, a few major vet bills and the usual costs of life in between, it didn't quite happen. That was until this week. Because of some crazy hours pulled at the bakery for some high volume weekends this last paycheck was just what I needed to buy a few new pairs of work out clothes and my brand new i-phone!

I've been a mac user since 2005 and I am always very proud to tell people that I have had the same MacBook pro since then, and other than a lack of battery stamina, it is working just as well as the first day I got it with no services other than the usual updates and clean ups (knock on wood, knowing my luck i will go home tonight and it won't turn on). Anyway, I was so excited to come home and download some of my favorite music to my new phone only to realize that my operating system is too old to support the version of i-tunes i need for my new phone. I was so upset i just sat there and stared at my computer for about 10 min before I started a mad search across the Internet to see if there was a loophole I didn't know about. (so far it looks like to upgrade my syestem would cost at least $129 and I may loose all of my design programs from school that I no longer have the original start up disks for)

side note: To top off my lovely night of disappointment, the lady at TJ Maxx told me "Congratulations!" and when I looked at her funny and said huh? she replied with "you are expecting" and pointed towards my stomach. Probably the easiest way to ruin my day is to think I'm pregnant after I have been getting up at the butt crack of dawn every day the last two weeks practically killing myself at the gym. Thanks Lady!

Anyway, now I have this beautiful new phone and no way to connect it back to my ridiculous collection of music and photos I have been building for the last 6 years. I'm talking to a coworker who is good at these things and I'm thinking there should be some sort of way to use dropbox and itunes on another computer to try to get around my syncing problems. For now my fingers are just crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Abbie - I hate to hear that!
    You and I were both riding the disappointment train yesterday, apparently. I've been without AC for a week at our temp house, and the friend's house we have been staying at is 20 minutes away.
    To top it off, I stayed up all night Sunday making cookies for my basket business, but couldn't finish them because the icing needed to dry. When I got there at lunch yesterday to finish them, I discovered that the folks we are staying with had eaten 9 f the 36 cookies I was supposed to ship out that afternoon.
    I think life needs to hand us a break, and a vacation!
    Love you miss you!

    ReplyDelete